Many times style overpowers substance - yes its true.....
Article taken from: WSJ
A common mistake people make on video is to play the comedian. Mr. Sanders says: "If you insist on poking fun at someone, it has to be you."
Lessons to implement:
- Authenticity: behave in natural and comfortable manner, rather than stiff or self-absorbed
- Curiosity: show interest in others, make eye contact, and ask questions about others opinions and activities
- Expressiveness: Vary tones of voice and smile, and show enthusiasm about what you are saying - even more so in a videoconference
- Listening: Focus on what others are saying and show that you are listening carefully, rather than getting distracted
- Mimicry: Mirror the expressions or posture of the person you are talking to, in order to create a sense of familiarity
- Similarity: Actively try to find topics of interest you share with a listener, rather than talking only about what interests you